Monday, August 2, 2010

Year of the Tiger!

It's pretty well known that this year is the Chinese Year of the Tiger. This has special significance for me, because I am -- you guessed it -- a Tiger. Not only that, but this year has brought me some pretty amazing new opportunities and chances at self-improvement on a variety of different fronts. So several months back, I created several Year-of-the-Tiger-themed, handpainted stationery on Crane & Co Letterwriting Sheets.

Here are some rough sketches:

Photobucket

Photobucket

My attempt at tiger realism...

Photobucket

...as well as a simpler style.

Photobucket


Here is one that I'd already finished by the time I got to work on the above ones. This one went to an excellent pen pal of mine in Canada. You can't really tell, but the eyes are glimmery -- I used gold glittery gel pen to make them stand out. I used a brush pen with waterproof ink for the outlining, then colored it using watercolors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This paper handles both fountain pen ink and watercolors incredibly well, and you can see previous works I did on Crane paper here and here.



Roar!!!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous job! On this tiger and the others. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a tiger too!

    I guess that makes sense since we're the same age, huh?

    Very pretty, of course.

    ReplyDelete