Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Part 2: Inking

Used my Sakura Micron Art Pens to ink the fishies and the anemone, then erased almost all the pencil lines -- if you look carefully, you can still see some lines I left in place (to remind me to shade there, or whatever).


Photobucket


{OBLIGATORY GEEKY ART EXPLANATION; SKIP IF DESIRED}

I was debating on line thickness in drawing this picture. I knew that I wanted to make the clownfish's outline less bold than the anemone. Usually, the subject of the picture (clownfish) is outlined slightly thicker than the background (anemone). This is a pretty subtle thing, a trick that draws the viewers' eyes towards the main subject of the piece. However, I wanted this picture to convey that the clownfish was hiding in anemone, so I made the anemone's outline thicker and the clownfish's outline thinner. Besides, clownfish are so ostentatiously colored (not to mention their natural black lines!) that the viewers' eyes are drawn towards them anyway.

So, there we go. That's my geeky art explanation ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment